Author Topic: Four Freespace Easter Eggs You Probably Didn't Notice (SPOILERS LIKELY)  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Nuclear1

Four Freespace Easter Eggs You Probably Didn't Notice (SPOILERS LIKELY)
Four Freespace Easter Eggs You Probably Didn't Notice

It's no secret when it comes to developing games and campaigns that mission designers and writers like to slip little tributes to either theirs or others' works in their own storyline.  It's a sign of respect in some cases, incorporation of other universes' elements in some others, and sometimes just cool little tidbits to reward players. 

Some of these are fairly well-hidden yet clear references, while others are in your face but not immediately clear as to the origin.  Freespace has a lot of both.

#4 – Blue Planet:  The Former Slavedrivers of Mars are Still Around

Blue Planet:  War in Heaven is the sequel to Darius' original work, Age of Aquarius.  The story revolves around the war between the Sol-borne United Earth Federation and the invading GTVA forces. The player's character is a fresh newbie by the name of Noemi Laporte, fighting for the UEF 18 months after the conflict's beginning.  Roughly a third of the way through the campaign, Laporte transfers from Earth's First Fleet to the Martian Second Fleet.

For those who are unfamiliar with it, Red Faction is a series created by Volition Inc., the same company that created Freespace.  The first game in the series centered around a group of miners on the Red Planet revolting against the corrupt Ultor Corporation in the year 2070.  The revolt succeeds, and Mars is freed from Ultor.

The War in Heaven team, in either a simple nod to our beloved Volition or as an inclusion of the events of Red Faction in Blue Planet history, note that Ultor is still alive and well three hundred years after they were driven off of Mars.  Several UEF ships and weapons, including the Kentauroi interceptor, were built by the “Oxys-Ultor Threat Workshop.” 

Additionally, note the Red Faction: Guerrilla logo:

And then notice one of Captain Simms' lines in The Intervention: "That better not turn into some kind of running joke, Laporte. Netreba cracks down on chain-of-command romances like a guerilla's hammer, and I'm on thin ice as it is with the casualty rate."

While we're on the subject...

#3 – Volition Pays Tribute to Freespace in Red Faction

While Descent and Freespace were the franchises that made a name for young Parallax Software and Volition Inc. in the PC  gaming world, Red Facton would be the series that would pave their way on the consoles.  Scroll back to the previous section if you're unfamiliar with the premise of the series.

The third installment would be titled Red Faction: Guerrilla, an open-world game telling the story of the newly-reformed Red Faction's revolt against their liberators-turned-oppressors, the Earth Defense Force.  One of the later operations involves a daring charge against a major EDF artillery base.

As you drive around reaching waypoints and trying to avoid being hit by artillery, you hear other panicked guerrillas over the comms:
Help me!  There's blood everywhere!
Where's the damn waypoint?!
I can't see! I can't see!
Where's Beckett?  Has anyone seen Beckett?

Wait, what?  Beckett? Surely they didn't...
That one took Bosch's head right off!

Why yes, yes it did.

Yeah, they did.  Volition included some Freespace names into this mission: you can also notice Cordova and Snipes if you play this mission enough.

Additionally, you can unlock an achievement for shooting down fifty EDF gunships:  Freed Space.

#2 – Silent Threat: Reborn; Famous Ships, Pop Culture

Oh, boy.  Silent Threat, how we remember ye.  You came as an add-on pack to Volition's extemely well-received Descent: Freespace, but how you disappointed.  Plotholes aplenty, unnamed jump nodes, generally-poor mission design.  You were the one bad mark on an otherwise-excellent franchise.  Oh well, at least you shipped with The Destiny of Peace.

Well...alright, I guess I'm not that mad...

Silent Threat should have succeeded; it had an interesting premise, that of the revolt of Galactic Terran Intelligence, and at its center, one of the coolest big ships in Freespace:  the Hades.  Fortunately, the good people at the FSPort spent several years rehabilitating the campaign.  The result:  one of the most highly-anticipated and well-received campaigns in recent years. 

Doing quite well for a campaign dead.

While great care was taken to preserve most of Silent Threat's original story ideas, the FSPort team added in their fair share of nods to the community.  Remember the GTC Lonewolf, the cruiser you spend most of your early missions in Derelict around?  It was mentioned in Derelict that the Lonewolf had been in service since the Great War—and now it makes an appearance in Silent Threat: Reborn.

Another mission a little more than halfway through also contains so many HLP and pop culture references it borders on insane.  Among the references:  an overzealous ST:R fan, unknown persons setting up explosive devices, and some famous last words.  Well, either the last one's a reference to good ol' Marlon Brando, or some Vasudans were in the middle of a ST playthrough.

The horror....the horror....

#1 – Blue Planet:  Steele is More Badass Than You Know

Anyone who's played War in Heaven is probably familiar with the campaign's breakout character—the GTVA's Admiral Steele.  The man is a tactical genius; a ruthless gentleman-warrior.  At the time of his appearance, he's probably the single most feared man amongst all of the threats facing the poor Federation. 

The United Earth Federation, Jim! Calm down!

So Admiral Steele's a badass isn't he?  What exactly could make him more hardcore than a guy who makes contingencies for his contingencies and doesn't afraid of anything?

Well, you could base him off one of the most badass villains in recent sci-fi history:  the Alliance Operative.

You are now seeing Steele as black and carrying a sword.  You're welcome.

Every word you can use to describe Steele can be used to describe this man; ruthless, remarkably intelligent, calm, gentlemanly.  As other characters say:  a believer, kills and never asks why, comes at you sideways, someone his enemies have every reason to be afraid of.

Or hell, just listen to him for one minute.

Now, why the hell am I making this connection?  What does The Operative have to do with Admiral Steele, despite a few similar character traits? 

Well, take a look at the tech room entries.  You'll find Admiral Steele's first name:  Chiwetel.  And it just so happens, the actor playing The Operative shares that very same first name.  Now, if it was “Bob”, I would have accepted a coincidence, but Chiwetel, even in the 24th century, probably isn't on the top list of baby names.

Blue Planet team wanted to give Steele sword-training too, but they don't want to be held responsible for head asplosions.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Re: Four Freespace Easter Eggs You Probably Didn't Notice (SPOILERS LIKELY)
Good show
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Good stuff. :) It's probably a bit more well-known than these, but there's also a Descent reference in the retail FS2 campaign.  In the final mission, good ol' "Apocalypse," there are a few freighters amongst the evacuating convoys carrying unscanned cargo, one of which is revealed to be "Dravis' Diary."  Samuel Dravis happens to be one of the primary characters in the Descent series, and given his personality, his diary would probably make great reading...except for the fact that it's inevitably incinerated by the supernova. :p

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
The last one about Steele was posted on the BP forum I think, but the others I didn't know about. Great stuff! :yes:

I wasnt aware the comparison had been drawn before, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw a bit of the Operative in Steele :nod:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Fun read. :yes:

ST:R's last mission also had the holed Legion as a backdrop in Deneb. Which I guess is more of a Continuity Nod than an Easter Egg but still cool.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Fun read. :yes:

ST:R's last mission also had the holed Legion as a backdrop in Deneb. Which I guess is more of a Continuity Nod than an Easter Egg but still cool.

I've noticed that all the MediaVPs missions (FSPort MediaVPs, ST-R MediaVPs, regular MediaVPs) have all had their backgrounds set up so that any mission that takes place in the same system as another mission will have the same background as that mission, unlike retail.  I think most of them even got star colors correct (e.g. Aldebaran, Wolf-359).  The team did a great job on Wolf-359's sun placement; very red light, small star--typical of a brown dwarf.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris | My GitHub

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In addition to the noted easter eggs in RF:G, there's another random soundbite you can hear in some of the camps, "I wonder what happened to Bosch...."
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The thread is decieveing...those are mod easter eggs.
I fully opened the thread excepecting some missed original [V] easter eggs.

#3 is the only one that actually interested me.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
You have forgotten the Subach Innes-reference in RF:G:

after destroying the the EDF air base the in-game news cast will bring a story on a stock price drop of "military contractor Subach Innes" with some cover-up story why the martian air-base is now out of commission...

also the half-faded face of a shivan in the original FS2 installer background always reminded me of scene in B5 (just got to dig out which episode..)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Nuclear1

In the final mission, good ol' "Apocalypse," there are a few freighters amongst the evacuating convoys carrying unscanned cargo, one of which is revealed to be "Dravis' Diary."  Samuel Dravis happens to be one of the primary characters in the Descent series, and given his personality, his diary would probably make great reading...except for the fact that it's inevitably incinerated by the supernova. :p

I never really played much Descent, but that's a really good find! 

In addition to the noted easter eggs in RF:G, there's another random soundbite you can hear in some of the camps, "I wonder what happened to Bosch...."
after destroying the the EDF air base the in-game news cast will bring a story on a stock price drop of "military contractor Subach Innes" with some cover-up story why the martian air-base is now out of commission...
I've always tried to keep an ear out for stuff in the base camp and the Voice of Mars, but I hadn't noticed either of these until now.  Very cool.

The thread is decieveing...those are mod easter eggs.
I fully opened the thread excepecting some missed original [V] easter eggs.

#3 is the only one that actually interested me

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear next time.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I heard (not sure) that Apocalypse contained a lot of cargo gags about :v:'s next game, Summoner.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Hey, wait... there was an idea lying around about integrating Red Faction into INF. Glad to know that the BP moved to that direction, too: it's a good way to celebrate :v:'s achievements, IMO. :)

EDIT: Uh, if I remember well, there was a Deimos in one of :v:'s other games. Summoner, maybe?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:42:11 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito

Offline Snail

• SC 5
EDIT: Uh, if I remember well, there was a Deimos in one of :v:'s other games. Summoner, maybe?
Was there? That's quite cool.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Not a GTCV Deimos though :p

Also,.,..........  iwuvfishes :3
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I've never seen it (or played that game, for the record) but I remember at least one community member claiming that there was a Deimos in one of :v:'s later games. I'm not sure if it was Summoner, though.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR

I'd advise that...cause threads similar to this can have...unintended consequences...People loving the object(s) of the article less. not more.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Darius

I don't think you could love BP any less, Trashman :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'd advise that...cause threads similar to this can have...unintended consequences...People loving the object(s) of the article less. not more.
Wooooooh.... you make it sound so.... ominous...

Dark tidings are afoot!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior

On the contrary, I love this thread. Comments bring in more easter eggs for the mass. :D