Author Topic: The reason why Scandinavians rock  (Read 4230 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: The reason why Scandinavians rock
Or maybe he just doesn't like Metal. Happens.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
"Metal" refers to a pretty broad and quite diverse group of music genres. Not to mention he heard a couple of metal songs he liked. Judging from what he said, this might have been a good power metal band, as they forgo noise and wild screams for very complex music and melodic lyrics (it should be noted, some songs of Rhapsody of Fire involve demonic screaming and harsher music, but they're exception rather the rule).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Techno refers to a pretty broad and quite diverse group of music genres. I don't like any of them. Same goes for 99% of Hip Hop. I (and, I imagine, a lot of other people) do not have the time or inclination to sift through the bull**** to get to the good parts I actually might like.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's why I provided examples of what he might like. If anybody provided an example of Disco I might like, I would check it out (provided it's on YouTube). March of the Swordmaster is a good, if a bit "calmer" example of RhOF music. So is "Black Dragon", which is not actually by them (it's a solo song by their founder/guitarist), but quite similar anyway. Other albums by Luca Turilli are vastly different, so they might be worth checking out, and the last one sounds so different that I'm not sure it's even metal (it's more along the lines of his yet another band, Dreamquest. Don't ask me how he manages to lead 3 bands at once :)).
Also, Power Metal is a niche genre. Most people, when thinking of metal, think of other, "heavier" genres, or the stereotypical portrait (to which Black Metal is closest to).

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
there is definitely a lot to sift through when it comes to metal. add to the fact that metal is over 4 decades old, had fractured into many, many subgenres, regional styles, etc. the thing to understand about metal is how international it is. outsiders really dont understand or appreciate these complexities. they pass judgement after only hearing a handful of mainstream-ish songs. i know when people decide that metal sucks after hearing a couple of post-puppets metallica songs, and **** like that can only result facepalms from metalheads in general. but really its the same problem i have with getting into classical. theres just so much material to cover before you find something you can actually get into. getting into new stuff takes some effort on behalf of the listener. and many dont want to put any effort into it at all, and listens to what their friends do, or whats on the radio, on tv, in movies, etc.

i cant say i like all metal. not to into power metal, never could stay with thrash (i listened to thrash almost exclusively early on before i discovered black metal), death metal didnt hold my attention at all, and progressive stuff has too much wankery. doom metal has its appeal still, i can listen to early (and dio era of course) black sabbath all day, and candlemass is ****ing badass. doom kinda has a sound heavily inspired by blues. deep bass, slower tempo, usually clean vox. some newer doom has death or black metal style vocals, sometimes beauty and beast **** but i perfer the clean vocal style in this genre. black metal is king for me, but usually the early norwegian scene or first wave stuff (like hellhammer/celtic frost, mercyful fate, venom, bathory, etc), of course norway puts out tonnes of good bm bands, some stuff from sweeden too (marduk, dissection). viking and folk metal as i mentioned earlier, which has a rather diverse performance styles and often regional sound (for example primordial is irish and so has a celtic sound and themes, local mythos, etc). there is also stuff you cant classify, like arcturus. but it really takes some digging to find what you like.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:27:14 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Disco

sombody didnt get the memo:
DISCO SUCKS
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's precisely why I used it as an example.
Also, I know that there's a lot to sift though when it comes to metal. That's precisely why I provided an example.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Steam
you either get metal or you dont. for those in the latter group, im sorry, we cant help you. im sorry your stuck with lame computer generated cookie cutter pop bands and have to be forcefed whatever they play on the radio.

60's - 80's Rock is cookie cutter pop?  :confused: There is a hell of a lot more then just Metal and modern crap :P

Some Metal is ok, but there's so much bull**** (*cough*nothingbutscreamingintothemicandtotallackofanyrythemorbeat*cough*) between whats good that its hard to find.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont so much have an issue with people who listen to other forms of music, as i do with people who put zero effort into developing a taste in music. of course there are other genres to listen to. i just referenced (and made fun of) the one i hate the most.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Some Metal is ok, but there's so much bull**** (*cough*nothingbutscreamingintothemicandtotallackofanyrythemorbeat*cough*) between whats good that its hard to find.
If you don't know how to search, that's the case with almost everything. Also known as Strudgeon's law. 90% of [insert whatever you want here] is crap.
In case of older stuff, the remaining 10% is all that survives to our times, so it seems that older stuff is better. Of course, that's not the only factor, but nonetheless and important one.

Disco

sombody didnt get the memo:
DISCO SUCKS

You mean the music or the act of actually standing IN a disco?

Since the latter really sucked.

Its almost as if they deliberetely designed the sound system so that people wouldn't be offended by each other's stupidity, since nobody is actually able to ****ing talk to each other and thus has to resort to immeadite sex to find out what the other person is like. Or something.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
see disco is an example of what happens when record labels get greedy. every label selects a few acts to be megastars. they throw ample resources at those groups, get them in movies, on tv, get them radio time, promotional gigs, etc. through pure saturation of hype you make everyone aware of that band, and by doing that you sell a lot of records. problem was that this tilted statistics about what the public actually liked. one thing that this causes is the record labels to believe that certain music styles are more popular than they actually are, and so they start pumping out a lot of it, at the expense of other styles of music. and this let to, at least in the case of disco, led to the following catastrophe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night

essentially they found out more people hated disco than they had assumed based on statistics. i see a lot of copycatting in the entertainment industry these days. like how every tv show has a similar tv show on another network, and why popular music at any given time is loaded with artists that all sound the same and all have similar gimmicks (like cher's autotune effects being used on every ****ing pop song these days). metal is loaded with copycatting as well, metallica copycatted motorhead and several nwobhm bands, modern black metal in general likes to copy the first 6 norwigian bands, who in turn copied a number of first wave bm bands. of course this is neccisary for a music style to evlolve. first wave bm sounds nothing like the norwigian wave, and sweedish death metal sounds nothing like the floridian dm scene, bay area thrash sounds nothing like german thrash, american power metal sounds nothing like european flower metal. but id like to at least see some moderation from the artists, and the record lables to come up with better ways to decide whats popular.

Nuke's Scripting SVN