Author Topic: Works that could have entered the public domain in 2014  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Works that could have entered the public domain in 2014
http://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2014/pre-1976

Current US law extends copyright for 70 years after the date of the author’s death, and corporate "works-for-hire" are copyrighted for 95 years after publication. But prior to the 1976 Copyright Act (which became effective in 1978), the maximum copyright term was 56 years – an initial term of 28 years, renewable for another 28 years. Under those laws, works published in 1957 would enter the public domain on January 1, 2014, where they would be "free as the air to common use." ... Under current copyright law, we’ll have to wait until 2053. And no published works will enter our public domain until 2019.

It's beyond any reasonable argument that the public interest would be much better served if such works as The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Cat in the Hat, Atlas Shrugged, The Seventh Seal, What’s Opera, Doc?, "Great Balls of Fire", and "Theory of Superconductivity" were in the public domain rather than locked up in IP purgatory.  This isn't capitalism, it's corporatism.

Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitution states the following (emphasis mine):
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Anyway, read the linked article.  It's informative.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Re: Works that could have entered the public domain in 2014
Corporations have learned that as many popular things like cat in the hat and elvis are from the last century...they're all still ridiculously profitable.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's getting more and more ridiculous that Disney keeps lobbying to extend copyright every time Mickey Mouse looks like he might enter the public domain.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Aardwolf

I take it this is the thread from which "enough of that" (feat. S-99 and Nuke) was split? Bah.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Yes. Me and nuke had some fun. Probably didn't need to say piratebay lines to top it off. I was making fun of how copyright can negatively affect the consumer. Making consumers re-purchase what they already own (recycling of profit?)  and spying on movie watchers (i imagine new media centers that watch you watch tv checks to see if you're pirating stuff among just trying to get viewer demographics; of which case lawsuit for violation of copyright).
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.