Author Topic: What inspired your username?  (Read 15069 times)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: What inspired your username?
My last name was mispronounced by a friend once and it came out Wobble, it kinda stuck as I was also skateboarding (badly) at the time! 73 is from the year I was born!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma was the goddess of the undead in an AD&D game I used to run. One day I needed a username and since all the other gods and godesses in my game were even more unpronounceable, I used that one. And then it kinda stuck. 

Funnily enough, despite everyone calling me Kara, it has absolutely nothing to do with BSG. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

My name arose from a fascination with orbital mechanics and the kind of ego only a teenager can have.  I mean, at the time, I considered being the closest possible orbital approach to the sun to be pretty badass.  So, it is a bit of a relic from a previous and much less mature life (you know, the one BEFORE marriage and kids).  If I had to pick one today, it'd probably be something more descriptive, like "AssholeEngineer."
"…ignorance, while it checks the enthusiasm of the sensible, in no way restrains the fools…"
-Stanislaw Lem

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Kobrar is a fantasy character my sister made up a whole lot of time ago and I liked this name so I started using it in games and in general on the internet. 44 is a number I will remember for those times when someone is already using bare Kobrar. It is a significant number in poetry of Adam Mickiewicz meaning the name of the "messiah" and also 1944 is a date of the Warsaw Uprising so it's overall hard to forget.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Although my name is bloody obvious, I do use "MoerasGrizzly" as a moniker just about everywhere else. My romantic mind indicated that one should not choose a nickname for himself, but let other's choose for him.

In High School, I was often refferred to as both "A bear" (due to various factors including build, being extremely huggable, tendency to wear black and brown, and the habit of pacing around "like a polar bear" (dutch saying). I was also refferred to as "that guy who lives in the swamp" (My villlage was very small and very far off, due to the high school there being crap). Hence, "SwampGrizzly". MoerasGrizzly since I wanted to show my dutchness, but a lot of people don't catch it's an adjective.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
What inspired my username? Well, it's an emotionally scarring backstory. Back in Drusselstien in the days of my youth...

jk :lol:

Combination of "Red Baron" with "Maniac", in an attempt to sound like a crazy GTVA pilot.

P.S. First time I encountered Battuta here I thought he was from Turkey :P
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
mine came from a stupid dream involving stereotypically british shivans

Offline Lorric

Combination of "Red Baron" with "Maniac", in an attempt to sound like a crazy GTVA pilot.
Your name always brought Baron Harkonnen to mind for me. :D

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • Shipsmith Emeritus
    • Exile
Mine is derived from old campaign name I had in mind when I was younger. It was Aeon of Betrayal. Later it evolved into Aeon_Betrayal I'm still using sometimes. While I requested change of my username a few times, Goober refused to change my nickname to Teeraal I really like because he won't change my name to something that is name of demon :P. Well, Betrayal remained.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
I was literally 12 when I made this username and has stuck since then. It has no real meaning nor does it have any connection to anything special in my life, just another one of my foolish childish mistakes that I shall forever wear as a mark of shame.

Mine is derived from old campaign name I had in mind when I was younger. It was Aeon of Betrayal. Later it evolved into Aeon_Betrayal I'm still using sometimes. While I requested change of my username a few times, Goober refused to change my nickname to Teeraal I really like because he won't change my name to something that is name of demon :P. Well, Betrayal remained.

If you can request username change... I can rid myself of this mark of shame! Yay!
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Mine comes from my favorite fighter in WC4. I picked it before finding out who actually flew them... :) Still, it kind of stuck.

Offline Lorric

If you can request username change... I can rid myself of this mark of shame! Yay!

Sorry BTA. They won't change your name unless you have a really good reason for it. I saw a thread once where this was explained. I tried to find it again for you but I couldn't. As Betrayal said, his name wasn't changed.

Mine comes from my favorite fighter in WC4. I picked it before finding out who actually flew them... :) Still, it kind of stuck.

Heh. I'm sure people would have thought you were named after a different fighter called Dragon. :)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If you can't guess why I go by Scotty, ten points from Gryffindor.

Elsewhere, including Steam and Skype, I frequently go by Strobe, which is a combination of my first initial, middle initial, and the first for letters of my last name.  Being an actual word is just a cool bonus.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Damn I was afraid you'd say that, oh well.

In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline FIZ

Boomer is my callsign in all combat flight simulator games. It started back with Janes ATF and has stuck since then.

Cool, I grabbed mine from Janes FA!

Online Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
"Rather be fighting the NTF if you ask me. I never signed on for hunting Shivans."

well... I signed on for hunting Shivans. They were on the box art and everything. GTVA ftw (except the Gefs are the best faction because they use my ships)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam

:lol:

what where you on!
el hombre vicio...

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova

:lol:

what where you on!

absolutely nothing

Offline LHN91

As a kid, I came up with "Lohon" as part of a save name on one of my playthroughs of Starcraft. I've always sucked at thinking up original names, so it got re-used, and later truncated to LHN/LHN9/LHN91.