Author Topic: If you could go back in time...  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
If you could go back in time...
...what would you ask :v: to change in FreeSpace? In poor words, what are the cons of the series? The pros are well known and we all love them, but I'm pretty sure there are people around here who can point out one or more things in FS that just don't match their tastes.

Personally - but it's just my opinion - I believe :v: should have done a better job at handling the universe and continuity they created. Both games are enjoyable (otherwise we wouldn't be here! ;)) but there are too many inconsistencies and major changes left unexplained for my tastes. Many user-made campaign series have done a much better job at providing players with a single and consistent continuity to play around with.

I would have loved to see more official campaigns other than the main campaigns from FS1 and FS2, Silent Threat and Operation Templar. Speaking of the main campaigns, some multibranching a la Colony Wars 1&2 would have been awesome. Any thoughts?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: If you could go back in time...
Needs more (Vasudan) fanservice.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
...what would you ask :v: to change in FreeSpace?

-Capital ships behavior (AI which torment us ever since) and gameplay - would like to see volition full professional implemented capship command system. (i know there is one made by modders)

But that's me, I am a capship freak.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The capship AI is exactly right for FreeSpace 2's design. It only becomes a task when you try to do more than what FS2 wanted to do.

We turn a blind eye but it kind of doesn't make sense. Any good destroyer is obsolete since you can slap a Maxim on a couple of Herc Mark II's(powerful yet not that advanced or expensive I assume), disable it from a distance and destroy it in any way imaginable. Or just destroy beams from a distance if in a pinch. So actually a Hecate type ship makes a lot of sense, as a small base and a way of moving stuff safely. Maybe a Collosus could be the same just bigger, but it can't justify its cost I think. Cruisers are even more useless. Gunship would be a realistic ship of choice for FS2, with interceptors with developed trebuchets and kaysers to guard them.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Cruisers are pretty good anti-fighter platforms as long as they have AAA beams (and you play on insane to turn off your magical damage resistance). Maxims are ludicrously overpowered but they are fun lategame guns and that's what Volition wanted.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Personally - but it's just my opinion - I believe :v: should have done a better job at handling the universe and continuity they created. Both games are enjoyable (otherwise we wouldn't be here! ;)) but there are too many inconsistencies and major changes left unexplained for my tastes. Many user-made campaign series have done a much better job at providing players with a single and consistent continuity to play around with.

I guess I'm along similar lines... fix all the inconsistent jump nodes. Sol having three jump nodes? Why do we care about the Lucifer sealing one, again? :P
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Cruisers are pretty good anti-fighter platforms as long as they have AAA beams (and you play on insane to turn off your magical damage resistance). Maxims are ludicrously overpowered but they are fun lategame guns and that's what Volition wanted.
They're great and the gameplay is excellent, however I was commenting on realism only. You're right I guess, I never played on insane. Hard is...hard enough for me. :D But still, you'd have to deploy them very carefully and imaginatively or they're gonna get maxim'd to bits. I guess you can kill maxims altogether or put a basic, thin shield on capships to solve these issues. However, you're then still susceptible to bomber attacks, as in, one pilot effectively killing Sathanas. :D

WiH gets this and a lot of other stuff very right. Like jumping out when you're obviously gonna get killed. Also, flak works the way it's supposed to.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
im going for prevent the Interplay person/people from getting into work who decided to divert the FS2 marketing budget into other places
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
im going for prevent the Interplay person/people from getting into work who decided to divert the FS2 marketing budget into other places

I don't know about that.  Maybe the source code wouldn't have gotten released and the game would have died off instead of being improved.  How many other games are still around and have been constantly improved over the last 16 years?
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
swing and roundabouts, the upshot would be that FS2 might have been a financial success and the series continued, perhaps with longer lifespan on the genre
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
This reminds me of the old "What would you like to see in FS3?" thread.  :)
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=19737.20

Honestly I play these games more for the action, immersion, and prettiness than for the stories, but I am learning to appreciate story more and more.  I'd like to see more of a branching rather than linear campaign, but I want to be able to pick up from a branch without starting over from the beginning.  I think I could do this on Wing Commander on my SNES, but since it's been almost 20 years since I played that, so my memory may be off.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 04:50:25 pm by deathspeed »
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I'd have liked to see a couple missions where fighters move through tunnels/structures/etc. like in Descent along with the requisite AI improvements to help them not run into the walls while doing so. Having all that free space to fly around in would be all the more appreciable if there were short contrasting claustrophobic interludes. Also there's nothing more immersion breaking for me than seeing AI ships run into stuff for no apparent reason.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's highly realistic behavior! Pilots often fly into the ground for no apparent reason.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am

I don't know about that.  Maybe the source code wouldn't have gotten released and the game would have died off instead of being improved.  How many other games are still around and have been constantly improved over the last 16 years?
QFT

and:
better AI would be nice indeed ... all those fighters constantly slamming into everything gets kinda anoying over time
oh, and better scaling collision detection code, so we can have bigger asteroid fields and everything...
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I would have loved more love for civilian craft and an explanation for why it takes a long time for destroyers to transit systems. 

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
more of a feeling that cap ships are relevant instead of bomber targets.  huge improvement from fs1 to fs2 but still lacking IMO.

fluff-to-gameplay-to-cutscene consistency. 

fighters that felt distinctly different to fly beyond simply turning faster/slower.  cockpits, or at least different huds would have helped immensely. 

I like to stare at the sun.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Prerendered cutscene after every mission.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are we doing realistic design changes that could have occurred during FS2's development, or crazy wish lists?  ;)

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
Unless the feature is already included, individual turret by turret targetting of ships.  That's all I'd want.  I could do so much with that without the fire beam sexps.

If this is already in place and there is a method of forcing turrets to just use their normal refire rate on a specific target, let me know!