Author Topic: Freespace 2 ciminatic song?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
  • Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Freespace 2 ciminatic song?
Part of the cinimatic music in freespace 2 uses lyrics from a hymn.  I have been informed that is 'king of kings' but so far I haven't been able to find any material on this what so ever and I'm not even sure it is 'king of kings'.  The particular piece I refer to is the tense briefing number 7, also used as the FS2 cinimatic music for the games credits.

I want to know what this hymn/song is called, it has been bugging me for a while now and I also want to try to get hold of an actual recording of this said hymn as well if possible.

The spelling is probably off but the lyrics go something like:
"Daa-nu sh-stay-ee, Halaluja".  This piece was also used as background ambience music in several scenes of the movie End of Days.

I would appreciate any help people could provide.  (the reason I want a copy of this hymn is because I want to do an updated FS2 cinimatic remix).
Thats no moon... hes dropped his pants!

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
It may be a coincidence.  Dan Wentz, the composer of the FS1 and FS2 soundtracks, used a synth library called "Symphony of Voices," which is a lot of choruses going "oooo" and "ahhh" with some consonants thrown in.  There are probably snippets of hymns thrown in there too.

I think both FS:TGW and FS2 have the best damn music af any game I've ever played.  I converted some of them to MP3 and listen to them at work.  Good music for writing code to :nod:

FS:TGW was much moodier, IMHO; I think that fits with the darker storyline.  Whenever I listen to FS1's "Brief1," I can still hear Admiral Shima telling me about the destruction of Vasuda Prime...
your source code slave

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Asked a friend of mine (who goes to church) 'bout it and he says he doesn't know... so...

Yeah, I agree the FS music is superb, it's just that the FS music needs to be longer so I don't think of them as game music. (one of my favorite songs is the credits theme)
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
the credits theme is what I'm on about... it is the cinimatic music also used as a briefing music.

I want to know from which hymn/song the latin sounding lyrics at the start of the track are from.

Offline JR2000Z

Heh.

I heard a little 'FS2 tune' in MGS2.

I guess it's a common thing to borrow tunes for games.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Heh, we could start a little "wots ur fav. fs2 tune" here:

Briefing: FS2 Brief 4 - the one which goes with the appearance of the Shivans are Gamma Draconis

Dogfight Soundtrack : Track 8 from fs1
Bombing Run Soundtrack: Track 1 from fs2

*has thot about this waaay too much*
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
My fave is battle c1 from fs2! Sounds liek someone throwing oil drums out of a window!

Anywho, a mate of mine reckons that in a song by the Beastie Boys there is the line, "we will fight the shivans" can anyone confirm this?

Offline Nuclear1

my favorites? who needs em? bah, what the heck.....

"March" from FS1
"Chaser" from FS1
"Worlds Apart" (also FS1)
"Spook" (yet again, FS1)

From FS2,
Leviticus
Genesis
i think..... Joshua (whatever G is)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
I've recently being flying missions to custom remix Wing Commander Prophecy tracks.

It's to bad that activision quashed the wing commander series (was it activision?).

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
I think the voice from the credit music says halajluia (whatever) then oooo aaaahhh like sound then another halajluia.
But whatever,
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER
I think the voice from the credit music says halajluia (whatever) then oooo aaaahhh like sound then another halajluia.
But whatever,

'Halelujah' and 'Agnus Dei' are the snippets I recognise
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Briefing: FS2 Brief 4 - the one which goes with the appearance of the Shivans are Gamma Draconis

That one is one of my top three favorites in any game. ;)

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
I actually liked all the music in the game. Some of them gives a haunting feeling, others give a action packed feeling. And at the right time too.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think I've heard the credits music in a movie before... or maybe the nova music... not sure.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That chorus was in End of Days--it freaked me out when I first watched that movie. I have no idea how you're supposed to find out what it is, tho.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
End of Days music samples

Samples 8 and 9 are the prime places where the chorus is used in the film though there are better samples of the chorus in 14, 15 and 16.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
You can definately hear the same chorus being repeated as is heard at the very start of the fs2 Cinema track. I got the shivers when I listened to this.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

The other night I was messing around fredding and listening to winamp (new tracks) and ended up listening to Halloween and the Exorcist. WOW the exorcist was a bum rip (deletedit) but the Halloween kick ass... It would be perfect for when something really bad happens that is unexpected! :devil:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Originally posted by penguin
Whenever I listen to FS1's "Brief1," I can still hear Admiral Shima telling me about the destruction of Vasuda Prime...

Always reminds me of the welcome aboard to the Galatea.

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
Agnus dei... ahh yes. latin words. "Agnus" means "sacrificial lamb" and "dei" means "God".