Author Topic: [dump] Blackwater Operations  (Read 3880 times)

[dump] Blackwater Operations
I was part of the team that worked on the Blackwater Operations project. After two decades of development, I am going to dump it. It's designed to work with Freespace Open 3.6.12. I'd rather keep my contribution anonymous. You can download it from this link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/atx4f1abr33ohvz/BWODump.7z/file

Offline Fusion

Re: [dump] Blackwater Operations
Interesting mod - most of the missions look like they run. Surprising amount of models that haven’t been seen before, along with some rather creatively retooled older MVP ships. Too bad it was in development hell for so long it’s well overripe by now.

Dude. Is this the BWO that people were talking about, like, ten years ago?

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
Hmm. Appears to be a dead link......

Offline Fusion

Hmm. Appears to be a dead link......

I got it before the link died. Will give it a playthrough, fix any fatal errors(with some help), and put it on Knossos.

Heya, thanks for this. It's always a bit of a shame to let perfectly good models and content go to waste.

Sad that this will not be a completed Mod.  I'm sure it would have been great and Derelict left me with unanswered questions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Dude. Is this the BWO that people were talking about, like, ten years ago?

Feels like 20
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • Shipsmith Emeritus
    • Exile
Sad that this will not be a completed Mod.  I'm sure it would have been great and Derelict left me with unanswered questions
It doesn't really answer questions from Derelict. It goes for it's own themes.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
A lot of these models are pretty awesome, especially Sol's arsenal! Nice work on the Banshee variant, Nyct!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • Shipsmith Emeritus
    • Exile
A lot of these models are pretty awesome, especially Sol's arsenal! Nice work on the Banshee variant, Nyct!
GTF Persephone is Raven's. Most of the new assets are pure excellence and skill of Raven2001.

I never managed to really complete anything for BWO. I started reworking Sol transport ship and had a complete mesh, then personal issues completely overwhelmed me, and I disappeared from HLP. When I returned, BWO was pretty dead, so I completed the transport as independent asset and released as GTT Anteros.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Here's the campaign order and notes for a campaign file:

Mission File   Act   
BWO-E1M1   One   
BWO-E1M2   One   
BWO-E1MX   Act One SOC Loop   
BWO-E1MX2   Act One SOC Loop   
BWO-E1M3   One   
BWO-E1M4   One   
BWO-E1M5   One   
BWO-E1M6   One   
BWO-E1M7   One   
BWO-E1M8a   One   
BWO-E1M8b   One   
BWO-E1M9   One   
BWO-E1M10   One   
BWO-E1M11   One   
BWO-E1M12   One   
BWO-E1M13   One   
BWO-E1M14   One   
BWO-E1M15   One   
BWO-E1M16   One   
BWO-E1M17   One   
BWO-E1M18   One   
BWO-E1M19   One   
BWO-E1M20   One   Destroy GTC Qada- Go to Act 3. GTC Qada jumps go to Act 2
BWO-E2M1   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M2   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M3   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M4   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M5   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M6   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M7   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2MX   Act Two SOC Loop   
BWO-E2M8   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M9   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M10   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E2M11   Two NTA Branch   
BWO-E3M1   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3M2   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3M3   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3MX   Act Three SOC Loop   
BWO-E3M4   Three GTVA Branch   BWO-E3M4M is an incorrect older version before IceFire and I reworked the mission
BWO-E3M5   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3M6   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3M7   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3M8   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3M9   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3M10   Three GTVA Branch   
BWO-E3M11   Three GTVA Branch   
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Can't find it on Knossos; is it awaiting some work re: campaign file?
Should I pass the time here, or talk some more?

Try updating Knossos - it works for me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 10:10:52 am by qweqwe321 »

Regrettably, the first mission crashes to desktop in multiple ways; the furthest I get is about five seconds into the mission itself as I start to lock missiles.  Debug log: https://fsnebula.org/log/66a476d2aaca1c2bfa0010c4  Note that the debug build crashes in different ways than the normal build; in normal I can get to the weapon selection screen but in debug I can't. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Fusion

We're getting an SVN together to fix the new bugs that've popped up - after the release I had issues where ship selection would crash(but not weapon selection) and the campaign would crash in any mission. Asteroth is working on hunting that bug down as the logs don't give any indication of what's causing it.

My first attempt it crashed on trying to go to ship selection.  The second time I went to weapon selection first and then ship selection from there rather than straight to ship selection from the briefing, and it worked fine and let me pick a Herc 2, only to crash upon attempting to target a turret when locking Trebuchets onto the enemy cruiser.  Then I went into the debug build, and running debug it crashes upon any of going to ship selection, weapon selection, or starting the mission. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Initially mine crashed upon commit with some message about light_rgb? Now simply crashes at ship selection/commit like rest
Should I pass the time here, or talk some more?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Just throwing ideas in here:

- Shouldn't this thread be merged with this and moved to the main BWO board?
- Now that this mod is released at least two of the board moderators are active and ready to reply to posts, shouldn't the board be de-archived? It's a released project, afterall, whether it's active or not.
- That said, and judging from the comments above, some serious bugfixing can improve this dump and make it fully playable. If it stays in an archived board, it's less noticeable/effective.
- Legacy BWO members can answer questions and provide hints should anyone be willing to fill gaps in the dump.
- A general plot outline and additional details should be added to the FreeSpace Wiki. The current BWO article is abysmal.
- Why not, even a #bwo subchannel on HLP's Discord would be welcome.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just throwing ideas in here:

- Shouldn't this thread be merged with this and moved to the main BWO board?
- Now that this mod is released at least two of the board moderators are active and ready to reply to posts, shouldn't the board be de-archived? It's a released project, afterall, whether it's active or not.
- That said, and judging from the comments above, some serious bugfixing can improve this dump and make it fully playable. If it stays in an archived board, it's less noticeable/effective.
- Legacy BWO members can answer questions and provide hints should anyone be willing to fill gaps in the dump.
- A general plot outline and additional details should be added to the FreeSpace Wiki. The current BWO article is abysmal.
- Why not, even a #bwo subchannel on HLP's Discord would be welcome.

I'm not sure a dump constitutes a release. Sounds like you're wanting to transform this unfinished work into a full release complete with developer support and everything. Is that what we have? It doesn't seem like it.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.