Author Topic: FRED2 Missions Fail to Load  (Read 100 times)

FRED2 Missions Fail to Load
I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I'm not sure whether my problem is with FRED2, something I did in FRED2, or something with FSO/MVPs.

So I've been doing things with FRED2 for a while but the other day I started having problems with my missions not successfully starting from the mission simulator in Freespace Upgrade Media VPs. I had just created a new mission, plopped a few objects, and saved it for the first time. When I tried to run the mission for the first time it failed at the loading screen with an error message saying the mission had failed to load. Since this was my first attempt at a scramble mission I thought maybe that had something to do with the problem so I unchecked that box in FRED2, saved, and tried again. Same problem and message.

So I wrote that mission off and started a new one. The mission worked fine the first half a dozen times I playtested it but then I started having the same problem. The error checker in FRED2 doesn't report anything and I have verified file integrity through Knossos. I'm now out of ideas.

I'm running FSO 24.02, Freespace Upgrade 4.7.3, and FRED2_OPEN 24.02. I have enclosed the two missions.

Re: FRED2 Missions Fail to Load
While attempting to create a debug file with the mission load error I made the discovery that FRED2_OPEN actually (and always) points to MVP version 4.7.2 rather than 4.7.3. With some trial and error I have determined the following:

If I use the "Run FreeSpace" option from FRED2 then MVP 4.7.2 opens and the mission fails to load.
If I open MVP 4.7.2 via Knossos then the mission loads correctly.
If I open MVP 4.7.3 via Knossos and try load a copy of the mission I placed in that missions folder then it works.
If I use "Run FreeSpace" from FRED2 when the new copy is open, I get sent to MVP 4.7.2 rather than 4.7.3. The mission fails to load, as expected.

More strangely, the main hall displays the wrong MVP version if am using 4.7.3 so it's possible there's something wrong with my installation of 4.7.3 although that doesn't explain why the missions work only when the program is run directly from Knossos.